Charles Gayle: Spectrum
Spectrum is a broad overview of Gayle's music, spanning more than thirty years, including the rise of electronics in music production. From hand-written scores handed off to musicians in the 1970s, to computer-sequenced hardware sound banks in the 1990s, to fully computer generated sound in the 2000s, he adopted the new tools as they became available, and adapted to the changing realities of music production. Beyond demo disks and samples handed out to friends and family, none of this music has previously been made available to the public.
Gayle dedicated the work Overture to Unframe to the organ donor whose lung let him continue to create: "Dedicated to the organ donor who gave me the gift of life and the chance to live another day. Today, years after my transplant, I offer my music as an expression of gratitude. This is music that, without your kindness and generosity, would never have been written."
- Children Playing (1:11) [MP3]
- Sunroom Pirouettes (1:54) [MP3]
- Overture to Unframe (8:18) [MP3]
- Amanda's New Dress (1:26) [MP3]
- Avocadoes Won My Heart (2:09) [MP3]
- Ellis (2:22) [MP3]
- Cleveland's Day Off (1:16) [MP3]
- Bicycles (2:37) [MP3]
- Chasing Butterflies (2:04) [MP3]
- Another Year (14:11) [MP3]
- Waiting For You (2:22) [MP3]
- Peaks of Otter (4:45) [MP3]
- Canon: Landscape with Hills (2:12) [MP3]
- Marissa (9:10) [MP3]
- The Wikipedia Variations (2:05) [MP3]
- Danse (3:17) [MP3]
- Hymn for Grandma Griffin (2:01) [MP3]
- Square Blue (3:11) [MP3]
- Music Box (1:33) [MP3]
Total time: 68:04
Buy Charles Gayle: Spectrum on Amazon: CD
View the score of Overture to Unframe (PDF).
The listing of Charles Gayle's works has moved to [HERE]. Many of the compositions are available to listen for free, look for the [MP3] tag in each entry.
Copyright Statement: I, Benjamin Gayle, am the owner of rights to all material posted here. Visitors to this site are encouraged to download and listen to the music. For any other use (commercial, public performance, etc.), please contact me.